Carriageworks today announced Sydney-based artist Kate Mitchell as the first of four leading contemporary Australian artists engaged to present large-scale art installations to be unveiled on 8 January 2020 as part of Sydney Festival. Mitchell’s work, All Auras Touch, will represent a snapshot of contemporary Australia revealed through the process of photographing human energy fields, otherwise known as auras.
Taking the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations as her starting point, Mitchell will photograph the aura of one person for each of the 1,023 recognised occupations using electromagnetic field imaging equipment. Each aura portrait will then be included in an expansive installation presented by Carriageworks, which will evolve over the course of the exhibition.
All Auras Touch reminds us that we are all energetic beings made up of the same matter.
Carriageworks CEO Blair French said, ‘Carriageworks is delighted to be commissioning this new body of work by Kate Mitchell. The idea of ‘work’ is in the very DNA of this building. The Eveleigh locomotive workshops were the site of engineering and craftsmanship for almost a century, and today we are a place for artists and audiences, whose ingenuity ignites curiosity about the social, political and aesthetic issues that define our time. I am looking forward to watching this project take shape over the summer months.’
Mitchell extends an invitation to the public to participate in the creation of this work by sitting for aura portraits.
Carriageworks invites people to register to take part in aura portrait sittings from 2 October 2019 until 25 February 2020, or until Mitchell has photographed all of the 1,023 professions. The artist will take only one portrait for each profession.
Kate Mitchell: All Auras Touch will be open free to the public from 8 January until 1 March 2020 and accompanied by a series of talks and workshops.
HOW TO TAKE PART
- Go to the following website: https://carriageworks.com.au/events/kate-mitchell-all-auras-touch/
- Review the ‘Occupation List’ to find the occupation that best represents your work.
- Click ‘Register’ to open the form.
- Select your ‘Occupation’. (Please note that once an occupation has been taken, it will no longer be available.)
- 5. Next, select the ‘Specialisation/Alternative Title’ most relevant to your occupation. If no ‘Specialisation/Alternative Title’ is relevant, select N/A.
- Select a date and time to sit for your aura portrait.
- Input your details and click ‘Submit’.
- Your aura portrait will be taken at Carriageworks. It will take approximately 15-minutes. You will receive a copy of your aura portrait.