13:27 | Purple Corn Polenta
Recipe by Peter Gilmore
50 gms freshly ground dried purple corn or replace with yellow or white corn polenta
10 gms finely diced eschallots
3 gms finely diced garlic
50 gms diced unsalted butter
25 gms grated Reggiano parmesan
1 litres umami enriched chicken broth
25 mls pouring cream
25 gms additional diced unsalted butter
Salt to taste
1. Place the umami chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Place a medium saucepan over a low heat and add 10 gms of unsalted butter. Melt the butter and add the eschallots and garlic, cook gently until translucent.
3. Then add the polenta to the eschallots and garlic, stir well – then immediately ladle on about 150mls of chicken broth and whisk in well.
4. Over the next 30 minutes continue to ladle on more chicken broth while stirring it into the polenta. Do this over a low heat – you want to cook out the polenta slowly using all the stock.
5. After 30 minutes turn off the heat and add the remaining 40gms diced butter and grated parmesan. Stir in until well incorporated.
6. Transfer the liquid polenta into a container and allow it to set in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 2 days ahead.
7. Reheat the polenta in a saucepan over a medium heat using a heavy whisk to break up the polenta.
8. Add the pouring cream and the additional 25 gms of unsalted diced butter, heat until the butter and cream are well incorporated, and the polenta is hot.
9. Add salt to taste at this point.
10. Serve the polenta as a side dish to accompany slow braised meat dishes or as side to a roast.
The Digital Chef Masterclass Series is presented in partnership with Smeg Australia.