As the community moves towards stricter social isolation measures over coming weeks, Carriageworks Farmers Market will be closed until further notice.
Carriageworks is committed to continuing to support our farmers and producers during this challenging time. Find all the details about ordering from our stallholders directly with our Stallholder Online Ordering Directory.
Mussels Cooked in Vermouth, Green Olives and Botanical Butter
1kg Mussels, scrubbed – try Fish Butchery
150ml Maidenii dry vermouth
100g shallots, diced finely – try Block 11
250g, cherry tomatoes – try Block 11
30ml extra virgin olive oil – try Alto Olives
150g green olives, pit removed – try Alto Olives
200g butter (if using unsalted butter, add salt to taste) – try Pepe Saya
½ bunch dill – try Darling Mills Farm
½ bunch parsley – try Darling Mills Farm
Chervil (French parsley) – try Darling Mills Farm
Chives – try Darling Mills Farm
Thyme – try Darling Mills Farm
Watercress – try Darling Mills Farm
Basil – try Darling Mills Farm
100g karakela (beach bananas)
Picked watercress leaves (to garnish) – try Darling Mills Farm
Salt to taste – try Olsson’s Sea Salt
Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 200C degrees.
- Add water in a medium pot and bring to boil. Add all herbs and boil until they have wilted (for about 30s). Remove from the pot and place in ice water until the herbs completely cool down, then strain and squeeze out excess water. Place herbs and softened butter in a hand blender and blitz to combine. Remove the butter and set aside in the fridge until ready to cook. Botanical butter could be prepared in advance.
- Place cherry tomatoes on a tray, splash some olive oil, salt and pepper, and place in the oven. Cook for 10min or until blistered, then remove and set aside.
- Heat oil a heavy based pot and add shallots. Sauté for 1min. Add mussels and vermouth. Cook with a closed lid for 2-3min or until the mussels have opened. Once cooked, remove them and set aside.
- Bring the remaining liquid to boil. Add olives and slowly add the botanical butter whisking it constantly. Once all the butter is combined add the cherry tomatoes, karakela and the mussels. Stir through to coat the mussels in the sauce.
- Place in a serving dish and serve immediately. Garnish with picked watercress leaves.
This recipe was cooked on equipment and appliances by Carriageworks Partner Smeg Australia.
Recipe from Hamish Ingham’s live demonstration at the Carriageworks Farmers Market, Sat 7 Mar 2020.