Smoked Beef Tongue, Radicchio and Fig Salad
6 slices of Shaved smoked beef tongue – LP’s Quality Meats
1 whole radicchio – Owl Farm
2 bunches chives – Darling Mills Farm
1 bunches tarragon – Darling Mills Farm
1 bunch parsley – Darling Mills Farm
5 figs – Figlicious
200g Flat beans – Zavaglia’s Gourmet Produce
Merlot vinegar – ALTO Olives
Robust olive oil – ALTO Olives
Salt – Olsson’s Salt
Pepper – Spice Zen
- Boil a pot of water in the Smeg kettle
- Put water into a pot and turn on the gas stove to a rolling boil and season water with plenty of salt.
- Trim the ends off the beans and cut on an angle into bite size pieces.
- Cook the beans in the boiling water for 3 mins and refresh in cold water, set aside.
- Pull the leaves off the radicchio and tear the large leaves into thirds and leave the smaller leaves whole, wash in water to remove dirt, shake dry and set aside.
- Prep the herbs, pick the parsley and tarragon into individual leaves, finely cut the chives, set aside.
- Preheat a pan on the stove and lightly oil and quickly sear the tongue (this has been precooked so only needs a quick heat through)
- Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and tear the figs into quarters and place in bowl.
- Season with a large pour of olive oil and a large pour of vinegar, season carefully with salt and pepper,
- Using light fingers gently toss the ingredients together.
- Taste a leaf to see if it needs more dressing and salt and pepper.
- Once content with the seasoning, gently layer the salad into a large serving bowl and serve.